A computer repair invoice is a formal bill given by part-time, freelance, and professional computer technicians (or support specialists) to their customers after the completion of a job to provide a clear presentation as to the tasks that were completed and their correlated costs.
Computer technicians and support specialists can be formally trained in a university setting, through vocational school, or through personal experience. Certifications are available to further demonstrate to clients and employers of the tech’s aptitude. They are employed in both the private and public sector and can be found in almost every industry.
What does a Computer Technician Do?
Computer technicians (also called “IT Technicians”) maintain and repair hardware and software systems. Computers are wide-ranging and exceptionally complex – oftentimes, a computer technician will focus on a certain field, topic, operating system, or program in order to master the ins and outs to ensure satisfied customers or employers. Common tasks and jobs completed by computer technicians include:
- Troubleshooting, installing, and downloading software
- Adding and repairing hardware components
- Ensuring servers and employee computers are malware and virus-free
- Protecting data and backing-up systems as necessary
- Providing technical support at a moment’s notice to employees and customers
How to Become a Computer Technician
There is no singular path to becoming a computer technician, especially when considering the vast different fields, specializations, and methods of providing service (employed, freelancing, part-time, etc). The options below can provide those interested in the career field off to a strong start, but shouldn’t be considered as the only ways of entering the field:
- Self-teaching – In the majority of cases, those contemplating a career in computer repair already have an interest in learning about computers and technology. If someone is only looking to repair as a freelancer, hobbyist, or as a part-time gig, this may be the only training required.
- Formal Education – Associates degrees in Information Technology can make an entrance into entry-level computer repair and IT jobs considerably easier, and serve as a strong starting point for those looking to further their knowledge and credibility by earning certifications in their desired field.
- Internships – Both official and non-official internships can provide IT hopefuls with the experience required to get started in the industry. This especially applies if the individual that is shadowed is employed by a reputable company that routinely hires computer technicians.
Computer Repair Certifications
- CompTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association) – The CompTIA is the industry-standard in certifications, and offers a wide range of certifications for those repairing and working on computers and servers. The certifications are offered in series – the starting point being the CORE series. The standard intermediate certification for IT repair professionals is the CompTIA A+, which is described below:
- Topics: Identifying and explaining computer components, installing software, establishing network connectivity, and preventing security risks.
- Number of Questions: Seventy-five (75)
- Type of Questions: Multiple Choice
- Test Length: Sixty (60) Minutes
- Minimum Passing Score: 650 out of 900 (~ 72%)
- Cost: $190
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate Exam) – A highly sought-after certification that demonstrates knowledge in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting both switched and routed networks.
- Topics: Network fundamentals, LAN switching technologies, IPv4 and IPv6 routing technologies, WAN technologies, and infrastructure services, security, and management.
- Number of Questions: Sixty (60) to seventy (70)
- Type of Questions: Several testing formats (Drag-and-drop, multiple choice, simulations, fill-in-the-blank, etc.)
- Test Length: Ninety (90) Minutes
- Minimum Passing Score: 75%
- Cost: $325
Computer Technician Salary & Hourly Rate ($/hr)
Salary: $ 32,606 / yr (source: glassdoor)
Hourly Rate: $15.55 / hr (source: PayScale)