The car sales invoice is a document listing all the features and costs that come with buying a vehicle. It allows the buyer and seller to both get a clear view of each item included with the vehicle and also see any fees or taxes added on to the final price. Do not confuse this with an invoice price, which is the amount the dealership paid the manufacturer for a vehicle.
Table of Contents
Vehicle Bill of Sale – To be used as a contract between the buyer and seller for a motor vehicle.
A car sales invoice typically includes two prices. The first being the Standard Vehicle Price which is always the cheapest price a car will sell for and the Vehicle Price with Optional Equipment (heated and leather seats, GPS, etc.) costing more.
- List Price – Usually a number that is negotiable, sometimes referred to as the MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price), which is the recommended price that the manufacturer tells the dealership to price the vehicle. Because dealerships often pay less than what is seen on the sticker, car buyers too should not be paying at or more than list price.
- Doc (documentation) Fee – A fee a dealership charges for drafting up the paperwork and prepping the car for final delivery. Check with your state to see the maximum amount allowed to be used when charging a doc fee.
- State Taxes – A percentage of the list price. Some States like Florida do not have a vehicle sales tax, but most do.
- Registration Fee – This should only be listed if the dealership plans on registering the car for the buyer.
- Car Details – As it’s easy to get caught up in the amounts calculating the final price, it’s important to check the basic details match up. Be sure the following is noted on the invoice: VIN Number,
Soley used by dealerships (an invoice used when a manufacturer sells a car to a dealership) and different than an invoice used when selling a vehicle to an everyday customer. Such a document will include the price of rebates, dealer incentives, and dealer holdback.
Salary: $22,000 /yr (source: glassdoor)
Hourly Rate: $21.00 /hr (source: Ziprecuiter)