A security guard invoice is for any individual or company offering protection services for individuals, private property, or a business. The invoice is commonly calculated by the hour ($/hr) and includes any fees for overtime or other services provided.
Table of Contents
- What does a Security Guard do?
- Eight (8) Types of Security Guards
- Do Security Guards need to be Licensed?
- Can Security Guards Carry a Firearm?
- Security Guard Salary & Hourly Pay
A security guard may be hired for surveillance, protection, and controlling access to property. A security guard is typically employed by a company that provides training and know-how to handle any type of situation they may encounter. The primary duty of a security guard is to provide safety and to assess the situation and report to the proper authorities.
There are eight (8) main types of security guards:
- Armed – Those carrying a firearm. The guard may also carry handcuffs, mace (spray), baton, or any other type of legal weapon to protecting oneself.
- Bank/Financial – Armed guards are preferred when the handling and transporting of currency or other highly valuable assets.
- Bodyguard – Protection services for high-profile individuals.
- Corporate – Verifying entrance to individuals on the property and processing guests.
- Crowd Control – For concerts, athletic events, or other functions. To provide safety to the attendees.
- Industrial/Warehouse – For the monitoring of property, mostly viewing surveillance cameras.
- Retail – Provide protection from theft of goods sold on the premises and to protect from property damage. In some cases, protection is provided after hours.
- Unarmed – Not carrying a firearm but may have a baton, handcuffs, or other protection.
Yes. All security guards must be licensed in the State they are employed. The application process consists of an individual completing the State minimum mandatory training (usually 8 to 20 hours) and an FBI background check (complete Form I-783). The applicant will send their processed FBI background check, application fee (made to the “Secretary of State”), and any other credentials to await processing. The security guard will most likely receive training by their employer for 2 to 8 weeks.
Yes. The security guard is allowed to carry a weapon without a license unless the individual will be concealing the firearm or carrying it while off-duty. If so, a concealed-carry license is required in addition to the security guard license required by the State.
Hourly Rate: $13.72 (source: BLS)
Salary: $28,530 (source: BLS)