A home remodeling (renovation) invoice is a document issued to homeowners by home remodeling contractors to collect payment for the labor and materials that were dedicated to the renovation and remodeling of part, or the entirety of a residential home. Contractors often experience first-hand how complicated remodeling projects can get; unexpected repairs, delayed deadlines, and project add-ons can all increase the length and complexity of invoices that are sent to the client. Going the electronic route allows contractors to have a clear overview of the work that has been done as well as any outstanding balances that have yet to be paid.
Table of Contents
- Cost of Home Remodeling
- Home Remodeling Contractors Near Me
According to HomeAdvisor, the average home remodeling cost is $45,814, with costs ranging from $18,435 to $75,176. For contractors, the first step that should be undertaken is to conduct a thorough estimation of the costs that will (most likely) incur. Once given to the homeowner for review and approval, the renovation can begin.
- Home age – Older homes can have higher upfront costs and can surprise homeowners with additional costs during the remodeling itself. This is due to the need of bringing the home up to code, the potential for worn-out plumbing or electrical systems,
- Permit Fees – Permits can be required for several types of home renovation, including but not limited to structural alterations, new construction, and porch/room additions. Depending on the town or city where new construction is taking place, fees can range anywhere from under $100 to more than $3000.
- Complexity of the Remodel – The complexity of the process has a substantial impact on the labor and material costs for a remodeling job. For example, the removal of a partition wall is typically as simple as tearing it down. However, for load-bearing walls, aimlessly tearing them down can cause serious structural issues for homes – to remove them, considerable work often has to be done to reinforce the home (often with the assistance of a certified structural engineer and contractor(s)).
- Average Cost: $20,152 | Range: 11,030 to $29,274 (source: HomeAdvisor – Basement Remodel)
- The main cost factors for basement remodels is the total square footage of the basement and the type of materials used. Additional factors can include whether a bathroom, appliances, or other amenities are added during the remodel.
- Average Cost: $25,100 | Range: $13,075 and $37,087 (source: HomeAdvisor – Kitchen Remodel)
- The types of alterations and additions that are made in kitchen renovations include new appliances, new or refurbished cabinets, new plumbing, flooring, lighting, and countertops. Contractors that specialize in kitchen remodeling can often provide more of an accurate price picture in comparison to general contractors. For those planning on hiring a professional kitchen designer, anywhere from four (4) to ten (10) percent of the budget should be allotted to said design services.
- Average Cost: $10,487 | Range: $5,993 and $14,980 (source: HomeAdvisor – Bathroom Remodel)
- Common renovations to bathrooms include new flooring, fixtures, showers/baths, ventilation, lighting, countertops, wall painting, and doors/windows. For bathrooms, labor costs rack up to an average of fifty percent (50%) of the total budget. To estimate the total renovation cost based upon the square footage of a bathroom, HomeAdvisor states the average renovation cost at $125/square foot.
Remodeling contractors can be found both online (Google Maps or Yelp) and by word of mouth. Due to the amount of responsibility homeowners give their contractor, the selection process should be taken with extreme care and consideration. While word of mouth recommendations from family and friends may be the most trustworthy, it’s important to dive deeper and ask the contractor to provide proof of their credentials (licensing, references, etc.) and not hire based on a relatively low price or another single factor.