Freelance Designer Invoice Template
A freelance designer invoice is a tool used by those who work independently as designers to seek payments from customers. Any work or project that involves design may use this invoice to collect money.Make a Free Invoice Now
How to Create a Professional Freelance Designer Invoice
A freelance designer invoice is a document that a freelance designer sends to their client after completing a project, outlining the total cost of the project and the terms of payment. The client should receive the invoice within a few days of the project’s completion. The client is responsible for paying the invoice within the specified timeframe. If the client does not pay the invoice within the specified timeframe, the designer may charge late fees or interest. Using an invoice allows the customer to see a breakdown of the project and the costs, eliminating doubts about overcharges or questionable fees. An invoice also allows the freelancer to charge a down payment at the beginning of a project and collect the remaining balance when a project is completed.
What Is a Freelance Designer?
A freelance designer is a person who works independently and acts as their own boss. Freelance designers are responsible for their work as well as for all invoicing and accounting tasks related to running a business. Essentially, they are a one-person shop.
Freelance Design Jobs
Not every type of designer can work independently as a freelancer. The reason is that some jobs — an architectural designer, for example — do not offer the freedom and flexibility required to work independently. The following are the most popular type of freelance design jobs taken up by freelancers:
- Graphic design
- Web design
- Logo design
- Interior design
- Fashion design
Freelance Designer Salary & Hourly Rate ($/hr)
The going rate for freelance designers working online can vary significantly depending on a range of factors, some of which include:
- Location – It’s known that freelance designers in India, for example, are cheaper than those working in the United States. For that reason, it may be challenging for a person in India to find work charging higher rates.
- Experience – A freelancer just starting will have nothing to show in their portfolio from previous work; therefore, they may have to price their work at a lower rate even if they consider themselves a top-tier designer.
- Reviews/testimonials – On websites such as Fiverr or Freelancer, designers are rated based on the reviews of past clients. A designer’s review count and score can allow them to charge rates higher than their competitors.
- Language – A designer that can speak English can take on jobs from all over the world. Clients that can communicate with their designer are willing to pay more.
The following is the average hourly rate and salary in the United States for freelance designers:
Key Elements of a Freelance Designer Invoice
When you format a freelance designer invoice, you’ll want to include the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- Your client’s name and contact information
- The project name
- The project start date
- The project end date
- A description of the work completed
- The total amount due
- The payment due date
- Any relevant notes or special instructions
- Payment methods accepted (e.g. check, cash, PayPal, etc.)
Benefits of a Freelance Designer Invoice
There are many benefits of using a freelance designer invoice when working with clients. Perhaps the most obvious benefit is that it helps to ensure that you are paid for your work. This is because a freelance invoice provides a clear and concise record of the work that you have completed, as well as the agreed-upon price. This can be extremely helpful if a client ever disputes the amount owed or the work that was completed.